Tuesday, March 3, 2009

January Supper Club: Day-O! Shrimp Cocktail


A group of our friends recently decided to start a Supper Club. We pick a theme for the month and then everyone brings a dish related to the theme. Our first dinner was in January, and as the date of the dinner happened to coincide with the Golden Globes, the theme was food inspired by films.

G brilliantly thought of the Day-O scene in Beetlejuice. The Deetz’s dinner party guests are all forced into a crazy dance around the dinner table, at the end of which they are all attacked by their shrimp cocktail.

I love Tim Burton and my brother and I must have watched that movie hundreds of times as kids, so Shrimp Cocktail it is! I also think it’s a somewhat overlooked classic and healthy to boot.

I adapted Alton Brown’s Shrimp Cocktail recipe.
Here’s what I did:

I bought the shrimp at Whole Foods

For the Cocktail Sauce:

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup prepared Thai Style Chili Sauce (Kikkoman)
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Quick Pour of olive oil – roughly 1 to 2 tablespoons
Quick pour of Worcestershire Sauce
Sprinkle of Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
Sprinkle of Trader Joe’s Seafood Grill and Broil

Blend everything in a blender until smooth or at desired consistency. Chill until ready to serve. When it's time to eat, arrange sauce and shrimp in a cocktail glass -- I used plastic champagne glasses -- serve and eat!

After this, I don’t think I’ll ever buy cocktail sauce again. It’s sooooo easy and tastes so good.

I used the leftover sauce in place of ketchup or tomato sauce to glaze a freeform meatloaf. Aesthetically speaking, it wasn’t the most pleasing of my impromptu creations. I thought I had more meat than I actually did, so the proportions were all off. It kind of looked like a giant meatball; however, it was DELISH! The cocktail sauce definitely provided an extra kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment