Wednesday, March 4, 2009

French Toast Brunch

I hosted a brunch for a bunch of lovely ladies recently and served this French Toast Casserole from Cooking Light. The night before some friends invited G and I out to a wine bar last minute. Well, of course, I just couldn’t say no. When we got home late that night, I realized I still needed to get things in order for the morning.

No problem. My plans to be a fabulous hostess would not be foiled by a spontaneous outing with friends! I discovered this recipe a while back and it’s becoming a go-to for brunch in a pinch, because it’s fast and requires almost no thought. I had bought all the ingredients the day before and this baby was assembled and in the fridge about 15 to 20 minutes later.

The next morning, when I was hustling about trying to finish cleaning up, running to the store to pick up the napkins I’d forgotten, and otherwise get things ready, I was oh so happy that the only thing I really had to do in the cooking department was to pop this in the oven.

To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of orange marmalade, so I usually opt for a berry flavor. Even better, just defrost a bag of frozen berries. (As you probably can start to tell, I usually have a bag or two on hand in the freezer because I find them so versatile) The berries will get really saucy. Just distribute them over the first layer of bread. I think using whole berries makes the dish a little more special. I also really like using cinnamon raisin bread in place of the sourdough.

I can think of a hundred ways you could further jazz this baby up. Well, that is if you’re not putting it together in the middle of the night after a couple of glasses of wine or running around like a crazy person. If I had more time, I might make the Blackberry Port Sauce ahead of time and incorporate that into the recipe.

Once it’s out of the oven, simply serve with syrup and coffee or mimosas. I think you’ll find it’s just as tasty as the classic variety and requires less fuss and attention. It’s also very pretty – although sadly I have no pictures to show you this time. Super quick to prepare, super easy, hard to beat.



No comments:

Post a Comment